Dubai is a unique city that has made a name for itself around the world for its sense of excess, its luxury and its innovative tourist attractions. In this city in the United Arab Emirates, nothing seems impossible. And one of the biggest symbols of Dubai's extravagance is Palm Jumeirah.
This artificial island, which takes the shape of a palm tree when seen from the sky, is one of the most ambitious projects in history. It is a true temple of luxury, home to many attractions and one of the most famous hotels in the world, the famous Atlantis. If you plan to visit Dubai, you will most certainly visit Palm Jumeirah. In this article, I tell you what to expect and what you can see & do there 🙂
WHAT TO SEE AND DO ON PALM ISLAND?
This large island in the shape of a date palm stretches over 3 miles (5 km) in the Persian Gulf, off the coast of Dubai. In total, it is made up of 17 palm leaves, all of which are home to large luxury resorts, dreamy beaches and unique attractions:
- Palm Fountain, the largest fountain in the world, with an area of 150,700 square feet (14,000 square meters) and its incredible jets that rise to 340 feet high (105 meters). Since October 2020, it is possible to enjoy a water and music show there several times a day, from Saturday to Wednesday from 7 to 10:30 pm, and on Thursday and Friday from 7 to 11:30 pm.
- The Atlantis Hotel, one of the world's most famous resorts. It is one of Dubai's most iconic destinations. This incredibly luxurious palace is also home to numerous shops, award-winning restaurants and attractions. All of these sites are also accessible to guests not staying directly at the hotel.
- The Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark, a water park located in the heart of the resort. Here you can enjoy a variety of water activities, including diving, water slides, meeting sea lions, and even swimming with dolphins.
- The Lost Chamber Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the United Arab Emirates. It is an annex of the Aquaventure park, which is also part of the Atlantis complex. In these huge tanks live more than 65,000 animals including tropical fish, rays and of course sharks. In total, you can discover more than 20 different exhibits. You will be able to go down a tunnel on a rubber ring, or live amazing virtual reality experiences with polar bears.
Aquarium diving experience
If you like diving, I recommend trying it at Atlantis The Lost Chambers Aquarium. There you will discover an incredible diversity of aquatic life, descend into clear waters and explore the arches & ruins that replicate the lost city with a professional instructor. Moreover, you will have the opportunity to swim alongside schools of colorful fish, giant rays and reef sharks.
- The Nakheel Mall, a large luxury shopping mall where you will find brand shops from all over the world as well as entertainment and leisure activities for the whole family.
- Palm West Beach, the most beautiful beach on the artificial island, where you can relax, swim, and sip a cocktail or eat a good meal in one of the beachfront bars and restaurants.
- Al Ittihad Park, an oasis in the heart of Palm Jumeirah, with over 100 species of trees and plants native to the region. It's the perfect place for a nice walk or a short jog.
- The View at the Palm, an observation platform located 8,300 feet above sea level (2,540 meters), offers a unique view of the artificial archipelago.
- The Pointe is one of the most popular recreational areas on the Palm. This mile-long promenade (1.5 km) is the perfect place to relax by the water and enjoy the beautiful views. The area also offers more than 80 stores and restaurants, as well as numerous attractions, including playgrounds for children.
- The Club Vista Mare, one of the most popular spots on the Palm, features a wide variety of renowned restaurants such as The Tap House, La Cucina and Ibn Al Bahr. These establishments offer cuisines from the Middle East, but also from many countries around the world.
On the island, you will also have the opportunity to practice many water sports. Snorkeling, scuba diving, paddling, kayaking, windsurfing, and many other water activities are offered at the Club Vista Mare, on The Point or on Palm West Beach.
HOW TO GET TO PALM JUMEIRAH?
Getting to Palm Jumeirah Island is very simple: you can get there by road and through several tunnels, either by car or by using public transportation.
You can use the Dubai Metro’s Red Line to “Dubai Marina Station'', then switch to a streetcar until “Palm Jumeirah Station”. From there, you can walk to the island, and in just over 5 minutes walk, you will reach the “Palm Gateway Station”, where you can take the Dubai Monorail.
GETTING AROUND PALM JUMEIRAH ISLAND: THE PALM MONORAIL
To discover this emblematic district of Dubai, you can take a very original means of public transport: the Palm Monorail. More than just a means of transportation, this elevated train will take you on a panoramic journey over the island, during which you will discover amazing sites at each stop and enjoy magnificent views of the island, the sea, but also the superb skyscrapers of the Dubai Marina.
The train, inaugurated in 2009, runs the entire length of the island, connecting the main sites from the “Gateway Station” at the entrance to the island to “The Pointe Station”. It runs every day of the week from 9 am to 10 pm. It passes by the Atlantis Hotel, Al Ittihad Park, Nakheel Mall, and Atlantis Aquaventure Water Park, among others.
This monorail is not part of Dubai's public transportation system. Therefore, you will not be able to pay with a Nol Card: you will need a special ticket to board.
Fares vary depending on the number of stations you pass through. A one-way ticket for the Palm Monorail costs between AED 10 and AED 20, or about $2.70 and $5.40 (between €3 and €5). A round trip ticket costs between AED 15 and AED 30. You can also find full-day tickets for AED 35.
If you arrive by car on the island and park at the Gateway station, your ticket will give you 3 hours of free parking.
And that's it for this article on Palm Jumeirah. I hope it was helpful!